When it rains it pours

This last week has been an emotional roller coaster. First Toph was stung by a wasp and was ill for several days, he was sick for a day, and then better for two, & then sick again. We took a trip to the local walk in clinic and he was ordered to eat a bland diet without caffeine, sugar, or dairy (so basically his normal diet), and lots of Gatorade ( yuck) for electrolytes. Thankfully he is now back to normal.

The day after he started feeling better we awoke to find that a weasel had found its way into the coop and we are sadly down 19 laying hens, it was a really hard day & we are still trying to get over it. A decision was made to put Moose in the fence tied to the coop that night, he has never stayed out overnight before so we were expecting a lot of whining, & were surprised to find that there were only angry barks periodically. We were happy to find that all the birds were alive the next morning.

The last big dip in the rollercoaster happened on Sunday after we finished butchering the meat birds (a long two day process with only three people, 47 birds now in the freezer). 

Sunday afternoon while doing the chores, Moose decided for some reason to lay in front of Toph’s back tire on the passenger side while the truck was running and is now hobbling around with a cast on one of his back legs. It was really odd for him to lay under the truck at all while it’s running, I guess he wanted the shade. 

Toph feels awful about it, even while he was checking Moose over, he was getting dog kisses through the whimpering, we are all glad it wasn’t any worse. Moose has to wear the cast for a month and is isn’t supposed to be walking around but we would probably have to give him a horse tranquilizer to stay put. 

That’s all I have for this week folks, I kind of left everyone hanging. Hopefully next week will bring happier news and projects galore.

Have a nice night folks!
*edit*

Also, while Toph, his father, and Lorelai were at the animal hospital with Moose, I did manage to cover every single tiny hole I could find in the coop. We needed a new plan with our guard dog out of commission. So far, so good.

*edit again*

Well as it turns out, it was not a weasel problem..rather a raccoon problem that has now hopefully been handled. We lost two more birds, but may have saved the rest.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s